Saturday, April 5, 2014

The one where I review Cress

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)
by Marissa Meyer
Source: Bought
Pages: 505

Goodreads Summary:

In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

My Feelings:


Guys, this books is huge. At a whopping 505 pages, it gave my arms a workout trying to hold it up. And yet I wanted more. No. I needed more. This series is simply brilliantly done with all it's phenomenal characters and interwoven plot lines. I can't wait for the next book, and yet, the thought of it makes me sad because it's the final book. After Winter, this series ends. I can't handle that guys!

Okay, okay. I'm calming down. *deep breathing* Can't worry about the future now. I just have to revel in the awesomeness that is Cress!

First off, Cress is absolutely adorable and endearing and precious. Not to mention socially awkward. But is that really surprising considering the fact that she's been stuck on a satellite her whole life? She's such a breath of fresh air from the tough girls that are Cinder and Scarlet (I still love them!). But don't think that Cress isn't tough, just tough in a different way. See, all Cress knows about the world is through what she's found on the web. So, Soap operas, books, ect. Let's just say, very unrealistic. She's got all these fantasies about happily ever after's and love at first sight. She's definitely thrown for a loop when reality hits. Yet she deals with it like a champ. And, what I love, is that she doesn't give up on her fantasies. She wants her happily ever after and by golly she's going to get it. While being awkward in the process. Aced it.

It wouldn't be a review of a retelling of Repunzel 
without at least 1 Tangled GIF.

Which brings us to the reason for her dreaming.

Carswell Thorne.

Well "Hi" to you too *waggles eyebrows*

*Enter swooning here* Witty, brash, roguish swag topped with a devil-may-care attitude and you have Captain Thorne in a nutshell. His interactions with everyone never failed to bring a smile to my face. His back-and-forth with Cinder and playfulness with Iko always put a big grin on my face. But it was his interactions with Cress that made my heart go a-flutter. Who knew he could be so darn sweet! But their relationship was also humorous because he's so....worldly, and she's so....not. Him saying things and her being all innocent and not understanding was absolutely the sweetest thing. Totally adorable. 

And, as usual, all other characters we know and love are just as awesome as ever. We see a lot more of Kai and Cinder. Cinder trying to remain tough and do what's right and Kai, the poor kid, just trying to keep his country safe. That's a lot of weight on his shoulders. Love him. And Iko - the best friend ever. Who knew an android could be so awesome with her fangerling and love of all things gossip? And the the doctor comes back! And his story line? Ugh...the feelings. Just trying to make up for his mistakes. I can get behind that. Unfortunately, Wolf was a bit....mopey. For reasons you'll find out. Understandable, but I also wanted to punch him. And Scarlet! You do you girl. You're tough and we all know it. Spit in the face of danger! Continue to be as fiery as your red hair!

Ohhhhhhhhh and guess what? We get our first glimpse of Winter!!!! Andddddddd......not sure how I feel about her. However, I'm intrigued by her. And she's a part of this series, so she will be awesome.

And yet, what never ceases to amaze me and what is probably the thing that keeps me hooked is Meyer's ability to weave the plots together so well. While series have an overarching story arc, never has a series (that I've read) had multiple books with different "main" characters tie together so seamlessly well. While the main characters from other books are a part of the following books and even have POV's in the book (which I totally love!), the story focuses on the character it was named for while weaving in and connecting the plot of the other characters. Bravo Meyers. 

They approve.



And, obviously, so do I.
All the best ♥︎


1 comment:

  1. Okay, NOW I REALLY HAVE TO START THIS SERIES! I think I'm the only one who hasn't read this one yet, and I've heard so many positive things about it. Great review! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)