Monday, June 24, 2013

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2)
by Julie Kagawa
Pages: 446
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback

Goodreads Synopsis:

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike



My Review:


I've been on a roll with sequels lately. This almost never happens. Too often I'm disappointed by the lack of plot or characterization. Or the romance gets to, dare I say, angsty. No one likes angsty. Well, except angst-y teenage girls, of which I am not (angsty, still teenage). And what's even better? When the second book is just as great, if not better, than its predecessor. 

Enter The Eternity Cure. 

Lots of zombie(?) butt whooping? Check. Awesomely fantastic characters (including, but not limited to, a katana-wielding vamp)? Check. Psycho bad guy? Check. Refreshing comedic relief? Check. Forward moving plot? Check. Emotional thrill-ride? Double check. 

1. Lots of zombie butt whooping?
So, I'm actually not sure if the Rabids are "zombies" or not, but they eat people and are sorta dead so that's what I'm gonna go with. And if action and zombie killing is what you're looking for, you've come to the right place. Within the first few pages, Allison has fights under her belt. Cool.

2. Awesomely fantastic characters? 
Let's break this down:

Allison - Oh, how I admire you Ally. I really do. With the constant battle between her vampire instincts and her human nature, you'd think it'd be a bit melodramatic. I mean, I'm not a vampire who is battling her natural instincts so I shouldn't understand. But I do. All thanks to Kagawa. I totally understand Ally and what she is going through and my heart breaks for her. There is no denying that she is fierce, but the battle she fighters to keep her human side is undeniably both harsh and admirable. She knows who she is, but also knows who she wants to be. She doesn’t deny her animalistic instincts when it comes to her loyalty and protectiveness, but she doesn’t want to become blinded to the good in humanity, even though her vampire side is superior in many ways. This constant battle to better herself made me root for her and understand to her hard life. I wanted to give this girl a hug so badly! But, considering she's fictional, that's a bit hard...so a mental hug with suffice. And I can't forget to mention the Katana! That sword's got a special place in my heart. 


Kanin - Personally, I always loved Kanin. Sure, he pretty much started Rabidism, but it was an accident and he had good intentions. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I totally feel bad for him. Sure, I understand why people hate him, but I also understand why characters, like Allison, love him. He made mistakes, but he's never stopped trying to right the wrong. I admire his determination and his heart. 

Jackal - However, the best part of this book had to be Jackal. Jackal was a great comic relief that was much needed in this emotionally wrought book. His snarky jibes and sarcastic wit always showed their face at the perfect times, allowing a bit of light to come to their otherwise dark situation. And the relationship between he and Allison was an interesting back and forth with a bit of restrained companionship popping up between them. Honestly, without him, I think I would have liked the book a little less. Even though he is an arrogant jerk and definitely doesn’t mind the predatory side of being a vampire, he’s got goodness to him. It just takes a little digging to find it.

Psycho bad guy?
Oh yeah. Definitely a psycho. And I totally understand why! Which makes me have a grudging understanding of the reasoning behind his actions. Not saying they're right! Just....I get it. But still bat-ass crazy. 

Forward moving plot?
YESSSSSS! This isn't a filler book!!! Everyone, JUMP FOR JOYYYYY!!! Okay, outta the system. So yeah. You learn a lot. Can't give it away. Read the book. And, pretty much just a lot happens (new virus?). Including new stuff. Crazy stuff. Stuff that's centered on Psycho bad vamp. Read it.

Emotional Thrill Ride?
Double check. My heart was filled with joy one second and thrown under a bus the next. I was laughing, gasping, shaking my head, yelling (inside my head. Not out loud. I don't want people to think I'm crazy), gaping like a fish, saying nononononono, all the while wanting to give everyone hugs. Yeah. Lots of emotions. And the ending.....I just....I don't know...what?! I....ughhhhhh I hate waiting.

Romance - don't want to give anything away.... ;) 


 Overall:
So, if you can't tell by my awesome review, I loved this book. It was emotionally intoxicating, gave me a triple dose of action-packed adventure and made me fall in love with all the characters even more. This is one sequel that will make your head spin and demand the third book. No matter the cost.....

All the best
Mackenzie 



1 comment:

  1. his or her the reality is far more exciting when compared to a. How might a sign be towards this kind of curiosity?

    An exceptional along with exciting portion!

    Many thanks intended for relating upwards! Remember to don't forget to get back to political election!

    ReplyDelete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)