Sunday, June 9, 2013

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2)
By Marissa Meyer
Pages: 452
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback

Rating: Love!!!

Goodreads Synopsis:

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


My Review:

As with most sequels, I went into this book quite nervous. Sure, tons of people said it was just as great (if not better!) than Cinder. But honestly, how could that happen? It's the dreaded "filler" book. There was absolutely no way it could live up to Cinder.

Well...it did. And I freaking love Marissa Meyer for it!

Enter Scarlet. Fiesty and fiery Scarlet. Oh, how I love her. And she's stubborn to boot! While Cinder's story took place in New Beijing, the story of Scarlet is chronicled in the beautiful countryside of France.  Although Scarlet is inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, don't mistake her for being easily fooled. Maybe she didn't always make the best decisions, but she's got heart and wanted to do whatever she could to protect her grandmother. That's loyalty.

And Wolf! I really came to adore him! Don't let his shy and secretive nature fool you (completely at odds with his looks by the way). No, this guy can kick butt like no other. He's called "Wolf" for a reason. And even though I kind of guessed his "secret" early on, I still looked forward to learning more about it and him.

But, by far, my favorite new addition was Captain Thorne. Oh, you scoundrel, you. Thorne added a bout of comedic relief and was a welcome addition to the cast. Who doesn't love a sarcastic, arrogant thief?

I think that one reason this book turned away from the stereotypical second book was because this book had a completely new plot and set of characters. It was a complex new story that tied together with the first book, yet it was still uniquely its own. I loved going on this journey with Scarlet and Wolf and it became even better when Cinder entered the picture. This book was an absolute non-stop thrill ride of action, surprises and tension! Can't wait for book 3! No, seriously guys, I need book 3 now. Wanna hook me up Meyers? ;)

Overall:
Go pick it up. Now. You don't have to worry about it being a filler book, because it's not. Now breathe a sigh of relief and head to the bookstore. You won't regret it.

All the best ♥
Mackenzie 




3 comments:

  1. Woah, I definitely need to read this series. Because now, you've gotten me more interested into reading it. Before I was like: "Eh maybe. I don't know." Then I was like, I need to do it after I read this post. I'm also so glad the second book is good. SO MANY SECOND BOOKS LET ME DOWN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! It really is fantastic :) I'm glad I could you interested in it! and I hope you enjoy it once you get around to it. Yes, I'm so glad the second book was just as great, if not better! Ugh....unfortunately, I know how you feel. Though I must say, the last 3 books I've read have been sequels and they've been surprisingly amazing!

      Delete
  2. his or her the reality is far more exciting when compared to a. How might a sign be towards this kind of curiosity?

    ReplyDelete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)