Friday, July 6, 2012

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
by Tahereh Mafi
Pages: 338
Source: Gift
Format: Hardback


Rating: I liked it/Really liked it


Goodreads Synopsis:


Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices,Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.



My Review:




This is one of those reviews that is really hard to write. Not because I loved it so much I simply can't find the words to describe its awesomeness, and not because I have such a burning hatred for it that my language would become less than ladylike. No, this is one book that while reading I was completely engrossed. I was completely immersed in it that I breathed it in like life itself. And then it ended. And I was left....wanting.


The writing is annoying. The writing is addicting.


Look. You're either going to love the writing, or hate it with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Just a fact of life. Lucky for me, I loved it! Now that I look back, I think it was the writing that kept me so interested. Don't get me wrong, the story is fascinating, but the writing was beautiful and unique and fitting. Juliette is a broken girl and the writing reflected that. Think Blood Red Road meets Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Although there are broken sentences and the rules of grammar don't exactly apply (a la Blood Red Road), it's beautiful prose (a la Smoke and Bone) makes it addicting. Yes, there are major differences between these books, but if you can handle the writing in both of those, then you can handle this. While perhaps disconcerting at first, after a while it just flows together. 


Characters:


I actually liked Juliette. At the beginning. She's such a broken girl and I just wanted to give her a big 'ol hug. But there was a quiet strength to her. A battle within herself that she didn't give up on. But I think the thing I loved most about her is that, even when everyone turned on her, even when everyone wanted to lock her up, she still loved humanity. Part of me hated her for it because she kept blaming herself even though it wasn't her fault. But her continuing faith in people was admirable. 


I also liked Adam and I actually liked their relationship. At first. Well, really throughout it was rather sweet. Its sort of insta-love and at the same time it isn't. I can't describe it without spoilers but it is actually incredibly sweet. He's a great guy that truly cares about Juliette and wants to take care of her.


And Warner is....a psychopath. But that's what makes him a good villain! I'm talking really crazy. But, and I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, I feel bad for him. Yes, I understand he's got a few loose screws, well, a lot of loose screws, but we get these little glimpses of reasons why he's like that. We don't get much, but you get to learn that maybe his past wasn't that great and made him like that. I actually want to learn why he is like he is. Maybe is the psychology lover in me or just the fact that I obviously watch to much Criminal Minds (Morgan = ♥). 


Ah...but here's where the unbelievable part comes in. Juliette has been in prison for almost a year, and all of a sudden she gets out and becomes some kind of sex kitten? Um....no. I don't believe it works like that. While reading I lapped it up! Come on, you gotta admit those shower scenes are pretty steamy ;) but not really believable. So...I kind of have a love hate relationship with it. On one hand, I loved it. Tension is always good XD but I just couldn't understand it. 


Another thing that bugged me. A HUGE sense of Deja Vú. This felt like a dead ringer for X-men. Which isn't a bad thing considering the fact that I love X-men (Wolverine anyone?), I just really hope that it veers off that path. I know it says that in the synopsis, but its almost too close. I don't mind the X-men like powers, I just hope it can remain unique in it's plot. 


Also, I know those who abhor lack of world-building will have a hard time with this book. It isn't exactly the best as setting up the world, more along the lines of just dropping you into it. For me, I can accept it. Do I like world building and would I like to know how it came to be? Of course. But its also fantasy and therefore, not the most important thing. However, I'll admit that I do wish there was more. 


cover lust Cover hate


I know most of you are going to kill me but....
I hate that cover. Well, at least the model. The title and background are absolutely perfect and applicable to the story, but the model! Ugh....normally I'm a sucker for the cover model books, but this one is just a no. First off, what's with that look? She's trying to look all tough and "I'm so cool with my power of death!" but comes across as vaguely confused and constipated. And that dress? All that peplum is in the wrong place! And there is way to much! The top of the dress is simple and elegant but then it's like BAM! Chiffon explosion! NOT GOOD! 


Overall:


While reading this book, I loved it. I devoured it. But after reading I felt....odd. I looked back and found a lot of things wrong with it. While I liked the characters, the whole prisoner turned Miss Desirable wasn't believable though definitely steamy. Also, while the plot was interesting, I also had a huge sense of Deja Vú. But the writing is just so beautiful



2 comments:

  1. *raises hand for cover hate too*
    I plan on reading this novel, but I'm definitely waiting for the reimprint/internation edition (the one with the eye). Granted, 'eyes' are just as cliché as 'girl in dress on cover', but at least the colours on the new ones are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm not alone! hahaha I agree. I think I like the eyes better, even though I don't exactly love them. It's kind of funny because the first time I saw this I loved it! But looking back, I can't understand why. It's awful!

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)