Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mistwood (Mistwood #1) by Leah Cypess

Mistwood (Mistwood #1)
by Leah Cypess
Pages: 304
Format: Hardback
Source: Bought/Amazon


Rating: Liked it


Goodreads Synopsis:


The Shifter is an immortal creature bound by an ancient spell to protect the kings of Samorna. When the realm is peaceful, she retreats to the Mistwod.

But when she is needed she always comes.

Isabel remembers nothing. Nothing before the prince rode into her forest to take her back to the castle. Nothing about who she is supposed to be, or the powers she is supposed to have.

Prince Rokan needs Isabel to be his Shifter. He needs her ability to shift to animal form, to wind, to mist. He needs her lethal speed and superhuman strength. And he needs her loyalty—because without it, she may be his greatest threat.

Isabel knows that her prince is lying to her, but she can't help wanting to protect him from the dangers and intrigues of the court . . . until a deadly truth shatters the bond between them.

Now Isabel faces a choice that threatens her loyalty, her heart . . . and everything she thought she knew.



Short and Sweet:



   Mistwood is a beautifully written and engaging read. Isabel is a direct, wild, fierce girl and a force to be rekoned with while still having a bit of sassiness and vulnerablitiy on the side. This is her journey of discovering who/what she is after the loss of her memory. She doesn’t know who to trust or what’s going on. She just follows that natural born instinct inside of her. I loved trying to figure out her story alongside of her and although it was hard to relate to her since she wasn’t technically human, I really did come to love her and was rooting for her.


However, although the plot and Isabel are enticing, I had a big problem with the last quarter of the book. Isabel becomes incredibly indecisive due to some new revelations, but I don’t really understand her choice in the end. 


  
*Spoiler* 


I mean, she found the real prince so shouldn't her loyalty have switched over? I know the bracelet helped, but what about when it was off? The ending was just rather confusing. 


*end spoiler*



Also, I don’t really feel that the ending was…satisfying. We figure out the main plot arc, but I feel as if there was something missing.


Overall:
This is definitely a book worth reading. If you like strong characters and a bit of mystery, then this is a must-read. And although I didn’t feel that the ending was completely satisfying, no other reviews I’ve read have mentioned this so perhaps it was just me. I definitely say give it a try! 



All the best

1 comment:

  1. I actually enjoyed Mistwood quite a lot...and am now tempted to go back and re-read it! Have you read her new book, Death Sworn? It's very good!

    ReplyDelete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)