Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thinking Through Thursday (4)


Welcome to another....

THINKING THROUGH THURSDAY!!

This week's discussion is on 

WHAT GENRE DO YOU NOT LIKE TO READ:

The first one that comes to mind for me is contemporary. I know, I know, I've seen so many contemp. books out there that are just so "awesome" according to everyone. But ya know what? That's one bandwagon I won't jump on. Why on earth do I want to read about someone's life that's better than mine?!?! There are really two main reasons I don't like to read contemporary.

1. I prefer escapism
One reason I'm such a huge fan of fantasy is because you get to escape to a new and magical world! Something that would only come in my dreams! I read to get away from life. While I don't believe in magic, when I read a fantasy book that has it I can pretend. I become almost like a little kid again that used to pretend a pencil was a wand and my stuffed animals were magical creatures! Who doesn't want that?! I feel like a kid in a candy store when it comes to fantasy! This brings me to number 2.

2. Why on earth would I want to read about someone's life that's better than mine?!
Honestly. Look, contemporary is a book that takes place in modern times and could happen in our world. Sure, I guess the MC's have to go through heartbreak or something, but most of the time books have happy endings, right? Well in fantasy, it's not real so I'm rooting for em. In contemporary, it can happen, which makes me totally jealous. Yes. Jealous. I know, so petty of me and not a great reason not to read it but still :P I feel totally justified XD

So what about y'all? What genre do you not care for?


2 comments:

  1. I completely sympathize with you about contemp books. I'm the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one! I just can't seem to get into them ;/

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)