Friday, May 4, 2012

The Assassin and the Desert

The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass 0.2)
by Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 86
Format: ebook
Source: Bought/Amazon


Rating: Awesome!!


Goodreads Synopsis:


The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the desert alive


My Review:


    I haven't read many novellas, but if the rest are like the Throne of Glass novellas then I can't believe I've taken this long to read them! I absolutely loved the first novella, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and this next one doesn't disappoint. 


    This time Celaena finds herself crossing the unforgiving Red Desert to find the dwelling place of the Silent Assassins. After her little stunt with the release of the slaves in the previous novella, her leader sends her here to learn a thing or two. 


    The Silent Assassins is a place where assassins gather to practice with each other and hope for the tutelage of the leader of the Silent Assassins. Celaena is just as sassy and kick-butt as in the previous novella, but now she's not the only person thats good at what she does and she gets put in her place more than once. However, throughout this book Celaena grows tremendously learning about the true assassins art and learning to take her own path. Celaena learns to stand up for what she believes in no matter the cost. She may be an assassin, but she's still a human being.  


    At a mere 86 pages, Maas made this feel like an entire book. We are introduced to new characters that are quite developed for so few pages, the book evokes emotions from the reader, the plot is addicting and intriguing. What more could you ask for? 


    I was so completely addicted to this novella. I read it all in one sitting because I wanted to know what was going to happen. And the ending was just so good! Celaena got a lot of flack (that's a huge understatement) from her leader because of what she did but the leader of the Silent Assassins is the complete opposite. He doesn't believe that harm will make a better assassin. No. He works with them and really shows them how to get better. He truly cares about his student and I absolutely loved that about him. He encouraged hard work and determination but cared for them with his heart of gold. 


  To say I loved this is a huge understatement. When an author can give you so much in so few pages, that's talent! I'm glad I got the book through Netgalley because I'm going to have to start it ASAP!! XD


 All the best ♥

5 comments:

  1. too bad, Throne of Glass novellas aren't available for my country :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm sorry :/ wish there was something I could do! But whenever they do come out in your country, I hope you get them ASAP :D

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. I REALLY want to read Throne of Glass, I know it's on NetGalley and I've requested it, but no word yet *crosses fingers*. I keep hearing great things about her stories. I've been reading SO many great fantasy works lately, it's becoming my new favorite genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got it XD but I had to wait a while (and I sent 3 requests :P ) before I finally got it. I hope you're able to read it! Fantasy = ♥. especially when said fantasy book has ASSASSINS! Woot!! I hope you get it!!

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)