Monday, April 9, 2012

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)
by Julie Kagawa
Pages: 485
Format: ebook
Source: Netgalley

Rating: Fan-freaking-tastic! 

Goodreads Synopsis: 

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.


My Review:


o_O  Mind is blown with the pure awesomeness that is The Immortal Rules. It was such an emotional thrill ride! I don't even know what to say that won't sound like blubbering, rambling, incoherent mess! My mind is still reeling! All I can think to say is GO BUY IT NOW (well, when it comes out)! I’ll buy it for you if I must just so you can read this pure awesomeness. Actually, scratch that. I have no money (its what being poor does to you), but if I did, I would totally buy everyone a copy!  



No Sparkley Vamps:

That’s right. No sparkles here! Just your class-A human blood-suckin, kick-butt, killing machines! And it’s amazing. This book made me terrified of vampires again!

Creepy atmosphere:
Kagawa did a fantastic job of world-building and creating such creepy and eerie atmosphere. I felt fully immersed in this world while reading. It was dark and gritty yet intoxicating. I was terrified and loved every moment.

4 books in 1:
This book is long, no doubt about it at a whopping 482 pages, but its divided into 4 different parts making it almost like reading 4 different books. Each has its own plot but they all flow together so smoothly and I loved every single one.

Allie:
Allie is an utterly fantastic character. She's tough, rough and hardened, but not without heart. She's always hated vampires, but after being attacked while saving a friend she ends up being saved by a vampire and given the choice to die or become like him. She always did whatever she could to survive, even if it meant become the very thing she hated. Now she's your regular blood-sucking, katana wielding (you read right), kick-butt killing machine. But don't hate on her just because she's a vampire. She may not be human, but she's bound and determined to not lose who she once was and that takes heart. Its hard on her, extremely hard, but although she may be considered a monster, she still has a choice, and that choice is to remain good. To not let herself become the monster everyone thinks she is. Is it easy? No. But is she going to do whatever she can to remain true to herself? Yes. And that, my friends, is something to be respected.


Kanan:
Awww Kanan, your so cool! He teaches her to weild weapons! XD I’d definitely love to have him as my vampire teacher. Sure, he’s more of a tough love kind of guy, but you can tell he really care’s about Allie. He was mysterious and aloof, but really wanted to help her. I don't want to give to much away but I  can’t wait to learn more about his story! Its heartbreaking! I really believe he's a great guy, you just gotta dig around to find it. 

Zeke:
This is the guy you want in real life. The sweet, caring guy that has such an incredibly good heart. But don’t think that he’s a wimp. No way. He may have a good heart, but he’s tough and protective too. A guy that’s incredibly sweet but also knows how to protect a girl? A perfect combination of sensitive guy and a man's man . Seriously, I fell in love with him. He was also so real. Unlike a lot of fictional boys, he’s not perfect, but I loved that about him. He had his faults and weaknesses, but he knew what they were and worked through them anyways.


Katanas:
She’s a katana wielding vampire. How freaking cool is that?!

Don’t worry, there’s still hope:
Perhaps one of the best things about a dark and gritty book is when their is always that little spark of hope. Even in the darkest of times, there's always that little light of hope and faith that your going to be alright. This book is dark and these characters are put in some awful situations but they keep going. No matter how bad things get, even if they sometimes doubt themselves, they have faith that things will get better. This is especially true when it comes to Zeke, something I absolutely loved about him. He went through unimaginable stuff, yet he never lost faith in something better. 

There was one thing I was kind of iffy about. The religion. Its nothing specific, but being religious myself, I kinda hate when they make religion bad. Of course there are....fanatics...out there, but not every religious person is. However, in this book it wasn't bad because A) it wasn't in your face (like some other books I've read before) and B) it showed both sides and didn't make the bad side ridiculously crazy. I actually let this part go to the back of my head because it didn't exactly make religion a bad thing, but I just wanted to warn you readers that it is in here. 

Overall:
This book was utterly fantastic. I loved the dark, gritty nature of the book and loved that, even in the darkest times, there was always hope. It was actually quite a beautiful story. It had fantastic characters and plot arcs and I know that Kagawa definitely has a fan for life when it comes to this series.

All the best ♥


6 comments:

  1. Great review! I am now very excited to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! AHhhhh You must read it! Its fantastic!!!! I hope you truly enjoy it :D

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so good! And I'm glad to hear it's back to scary-ass vampires again! I loved Kagawa's Iron Fey series, so I'm sure to like this one as well. Great review, Mackenzie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fan-friggin-TASTIC!!! Yes! Seriously, these are some scary vamps! Thanks! Hope you enjoy it once you read it :)

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  3. Excellent review! I hadn't met Zeke yet, but you make him sound like someone I want to meet. A man's man? Sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! He doesn't come in till the 3rd part if I'm not mistaken. And yeah, I actually ended up really liking him! He's such a sweet and awesome guy that really cares about his group, but he's not afraid to take a few rabids to protect them. I liked him because he was real. Yes, he was scared, but he did it anyways. I hope you like him! He's not man's man like Valek *swoon* or anything, but he's a great guy! I hope you end up enjoying this!!

      All the best ♥
      Mackenzie

      Delete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)