Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Katana by Cole Gibsen

Katana 
by Cole Gibsen
Release Date: March 8, 2012
Pages: 384
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: I really liked it! 


Goodreads Snyopsis: 
Rileigh Martin would love to believe that adrenaline had given her the uncanny courage and strength to fend off three muggers. But it doesn't explain her dreams of 15th-century Japan, the incredible fighting skills she suddenly possesses, or the strange voice giving her battle tips and danger warnings.

While worrying that she's going crazy (always a reputation ruiner), Rileigh gets a visit from Kim, a handsome martial arts instructor, who tells Rileigh she's harboring the spirit of a five-hundred-year-old samurai warrior.

Relentlessly attacked by ninjas, Rileigh has no choice but to master the katana--a deadly Japanese sword that's also the key to her past. As the spirit grows stronger and her feelings for Kim intensify, Rileigh is torn between continuing as the girl she's always been and embracing the warrior inside her.



My Review: (its been a while since I've read it so hopefully I cover everything!)
Samurais, hot guys, and plenty of action. What more could you ask for?!


To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what I'd think about it. But when I read the synopsis and heard the words "she's harboring the spirit of a five-hundred-year-old samurai warrior" I just knew I had to give it a chance and I wasn't disappointed!


Welcome Rileigh, your normal skater girl outcast. There is no shortage of snarkiness and smartbutt remarks from her, something that for me definitely makes the story interesting. She's headstrong and stubborn and can kick-butt. Literally (awesome huh?!)This book actually turned out to be very funny and that all has to do with Riliegh and her friend Quentin. Honestly, I loved him. He was freakin hilarious! I'd love to have a friend like that!! He never ceases to lighten the mood :)


And Kim....I actually ended up really liking him! Strong and hardened yet calm and protective. He really cares about his friends. Not to mention he's a samurai! Which is totally hot in and of itself ;) The rest of the secondary characters were interesting, but not all were fleshed out as much as I would have liked. 


I really liked the story and loved the inclusion of the backstory. It gives you an idea of her previous life without going into too much detail. Also, I really liked the story behind the reincarnation. It was fleshed out and you are given an answer for everything (so far as I remember).


However, although I liked the story and the characters overall, there were a few things that bugged me. One, Rileigh took a bit to long to come around for my taste. Also, I knew who the bad guy was pretty quickly (but it didn't bother me too much). Third, A few of the secondary characters weren't fleshed out as much as I like. And finally, while I really liked his explanations of the reincarnation processs it was also...weird. I mean, he was a guy in a past life and he's (she's?) now a girl? Wait...WHAT!??! However, I let that go to the back of my head instead of letting myself focus on it.


Overall, I really enjoyed it. There is no shortage of snarkiness and action. While I did have a few issues, I ended up really enjoying it! I encourage those who like action, reincarnation, and humor with a good dose of romance to read this. 


All the best,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)