Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hunger Games Movie Review


THE WORLD WILL BE WATCHING
Loved! 
(just as it should!)


Alright, alright, I know you've seen about a bajillion of these things so I'll try and keep it brief (and probably fail miserably) :P

Let me first give congratulations to the director for doing a fantastic job of staying as true to the story as possible. They truly did an amazing job of following the books.

Actors:
I think the actors did very well, especially the actors that played Katniss, Haymitch and Effie. Actually, I think Haymitch and Effie were my favorite! I loved the banter between them! And the guy who portrayed President Snow sounded all nice and what-not until you actually listened to what he said. The guys insane. Kids dying? No prob. You piss him off? Death by berries! Yeah, he's a few bricks short of a full load. 

Imagery and world-building: 
They did a fan-friggin-tastic job with the Capitol fashions! Wow! They were just as crazy, if not more so, than I imagined! Whoever the stylist was definitely deserves credit. District 12 was just as run-down and dirty as I imagined and the CGI for the Capitol was incredible! Overall, they did a great job of showing Collins' world, both the good and bad.

Plot:
If you're one of the extremely nit-picky people...you won't like it. Yes, there are some differences, but for me, so long as they don't change the story, then it doesn't bother me. However, for those who can't stand anything to be changed, I'm sure there are things that will bug you. For example, Prim is the one that gives Katniss the pin, not Madge. However, if your like me and don't mind small changes, then you'll love it! 

However, there are a few things that really bothered me and that was the CGI mutant dogs....they looked like overgrown bulldogs. That's not how they are described. They are supposed to be more wolf-like and look like the tributes! Also, the cornucopia! what?! It didn't even look like a cornucopia! Also I have a love/hate relationship with Katniss' and Peeta's relationship. Since the book has a lot of first person thoughts, I know its hard to bring it into the movie, but I'm not sure how I feel. In the book you know that Katniss is only doing it for the Games but in the movie it was very hard to portray that and they didn't even add the part where Peeta finds out in the end. I'm guessing that'll happen in the next book. But I still enjoyed it. 


Though I absolutely loved the fact that they actually showed the gamemakers working their magic and when they showed Caesar addressing the people of the Capitol and letting them know what was going on. Since the novel is in first-person, we learn a lot of information via Katniss' thoughts. By adding this view of the gamemakers and Caesar, it gives us that information via the outside (Capitol). For example, you learn about the Tracker Jackers through Katniss' thoughts in the books but you learn about them when you see Caesar addressing the Capitol (like a news anchor.)


I also know that a lot of people had problems with the shaky camera, but for me I think it fit. Yes, it was sometimes annoying but a) they couldn't show all that blood and keep it PG-13 so the shakiness helps make it look rough without all the blood and b) it made it more like a documentary and more like a reality show which is all it actually is. 


And don't even get me started on the part with Rue! I almost cried!! It was just so emotional! 


Overall:
The directors and actors did an excellent job of bringing the book to the big screen. They had a lot to live up to and they did a pretty darn good job of it. Now, every book to movie has its faults, but I believe whether your a fan or just a person who thought it might look good, you'll enjoy it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)