Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DNF: Sandry's Book

Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic #1)
by Tamora Pierce
Available Now


Goodreads Synopsis: 
With her gift of weaving silk thread and creating light, Sandry is brought to the Winding Circle community. There she meets Briar, a former thief who has a way with plants; Daja, an outcast gifted at metalcraft; and Tris, whose connection with the weather unsettles everyone, including herself. At Winding Circle, the four misfits are taught how to use their magic - and to trust one another. But then disaster strikes their new home. Can Sandry weave together four kinds of magical power and save herself, her friends, and the one place where they've ever been accepted?


My Review: 
*gulp*....is it true?! Did I actually DNF a Tamora Pierce book?!?! Say it ain't so! But sadly, its true. Please don't kill me! I don't know what is wrong with me o_O


First off, let me say that if you have not read anything my Tamora Pierce, I absolutely recommend any of her Tortall series. They are amazing. However, for some reason, this new series just wasn't doing it for me.


Normally, I don't DNF. I don't like to quit. That's just me. But ever since I became a reviewer, I don't really have time to read books that I don't really care for. This was the case for this book. 


Honestly, I can't quite pinpoint exactly why. It just wasn't resonating with me. I kept reading and reading hoping that I might get into it, but I just wasn't feeling it. I like my books like I like my movies: action packed. To me this entire book felt like a set-up. It just wasn't really going anywhere. Yeah, you were learning about the characters, but even that wasn't that interesting. When I read a book, I want to share the emotions of the characters and take the journey with them and I just wasn't doing that with this book.


Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll pick it up again. Its just that right now there are so many books that I know I want to read that I don't want to waste my time on a book I'm not really feeling. Again, if you've never read her other novels, I encourage you to do so! Sadly, this one just didn't resonate with me. Hopefully, I'll pick it up again on a rainy day and I hope that it will eventually peek my interest. 


P.S. My review of Scarlet will be up soon. I absolutely loved it but I'm having a hard time putting it into words! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)